A Remarkable Presence:
Basel at the World Expo 2010 in Shanghai
The largest of all world exhibitions to date, the World Expo 2010 Shanghai, was dedicated to the subject of urban quality of life from May to October 2010. The cities of Basel, Geneva, and Zurich did not miss this opportunity and presented themselves jointly abroad for the first time. Under the motto ‘Better Water – Best Urban Life’, their exhibition demonstrated how the quality of water and the quality of life in a city can simultaneously be improved by sustainable water management. In the process, it was possible to experience Shanghai’s twin city of Basel as a city of ecology, education, and culture, and at the same time as a sympathetic destination with an exceptional quality of life.
Impressive location marketing for Basel, Geneva and Zurich
In a central hall in the ‘Urban Best Practices Area’, the Swiss cities pavilion was located in the most prominent position – in front of Bilbao, Malmö, Paris, Prague, and Osaka. This preferential position for the Swiss cities would scarcely have been possible without the Basel-Shanghai city twinning initiative. With such good neighbors, the pavilion offered visitors a diverse range of infotainment. In Basel, for example, the Rhine featured as an oasis in the center of the city which is used in a multitude of ways.
High-quality information, positioning, entertainment
The exhibition concept includes a panorama film which captures the atmosphere of three cities, as well as audiovisual relaying of examples of city life, an info counter, and a multifunctional auditorium. Touch screens present the best practices of the three cities in the form of audiovisual city magazines. With the aid of short stories of 45 seconds duration, Basel presents its water quality, life by the Rhine, the campus town with its universities, the role of companies (corporate citizenship using the example of Novartis) and Basel’s location and role as a gateway to Europe.
Marketing in Shanghai – good for Basel
The cities pavilion, which was sponsored by Novartis as a presenting partner, made it possible to stage a diverse supporting program and a very wide range of events. As an ideal event platform, it provided sponsors, companies, and organizations with unique possibilities for presenting and positioning themselves.
Basel’s diverse range of activities and events at the World Expo 2010
Basel Week, May 20 – 28, 2010
- Water & Energy Day, May 20
- Innovation & Business Day, May 21
- Health Days, May 24 to 25
- Tri-national Day, May 26
- University Day, May 27: University of Applied Sciences North Western Switzerland (FHNW)
- University Day, May 28: University of Basel
- Basel Ambassador Days, May 22 to 28
More on Basel Week
Basel-Shanghai Days, August 8 – 11, 2010
- Architecture Day, August 8
- Design Day, August 9
- City Development and Planning Day, August 10
- City Partnership Day, August 11: signing of the Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) 2011-2013, concert by the Basel Symphony Orchestra
More on Basel-Shanghai Days
- Mediendoku Basel-Shanghai Days 8.bis 11. August 2010-zip
- Bilder Pavillon-zip und Pavillon Impressionen-zip
- Baslerstab, 29. April 2010 "China ist ein enorm attraktiver Markt"
- NZZ, 3. Mai 2010 "Schöne Berge und trinkbares Wasser"
- Basler Zeitung, 27. Mai 2010 "Für Direktverbindung Basel-Shanghai"
- Basellandschaftliche Zeitung, 5. Juni 2010 "Die Partnerschaft hilft, Türen zu öffnen"
- World Expo Kolumne Basler Zeitung-zip
- Presseclipping Basel an der World Expo-zip
- Schlussbericht World Expo 2010 Shanghai